The Dark Descent

The Dark Descent is finally live online. Check it out, it's fourteen minutes long so grab yourself either a tea or a beer. Or a tap water, whatever really.



We got the award for daily 1st on Newgrounds, and also put on the frontpage, which was really nice because I always felt it was the right home for the film. It's where I learnt to animate, too, so nice to get something on there.

We got some really favourable reviews from the film, a very humbling breath to take, after the film had been left to stagnate for so long (we finished it back in February). It's good to see people enjoy it, I don't really like it myself, but I spose it's always like that. I think there's some bits in it that i'm really proud of animating, and others... not so much. Ha!

But, my final feeling with the film, is just being resoundingly proud of the ridiculous effort me and Miguel put into it. I think the production time would be around 9 months, and considering it was essentially made by just the two of us is nuts. There were times when we got pretty stressed and strained (mainly me), and there were times when we laughed n' learnt (Mig taught me all about WW2, I taught him all about the 60's) but we stuck it out and that's what I am most proud about.

Here's some of the reviews, starting with possibly the most humbling review either of us will ever get;

"So I created an account just to thank you properly. I am usually on this site to kill time and get a laugh. And I watched this simply because it was the first one shown. But quickly I was drawn into the story and how it relates to me personally. I have been struggling with PTSD for a few years, and always find it hard to express myself to my wife. My thoughts and emotions are lost in translation to her. But this is the closest relationship I have ever felt to true understanding of what I am dealing with. Me and my wife watched this, and all I could say is "that is me". The therapeutic value of this is amazing. 
Myself and my wife have been drawn closer together with this true work of art. I will share this with others I know who are experiencing the same condition as myself. And I truly just want to say thank you for providing this to the world."

"this animation, the graphics, the music, the storytelling was nothing short of amazing"

"Wow. It's been a long time since I've felt this kind of emotion when I'm looking a short movie on NG. With not even a word, you've told a more powerful story than most movies. Bravo"



"Incredible work. The end was really touching, and though I could analyze and interpret it, I don't think there's a need to. Your ability to show emotion without facial expressions other than the eyes was impressive. The soundtrack fit, as did the lack of at certain points. The animation was original, and all backgrounds were nicely made. Definitely one of my favorite animations here on Newgrounds, nice to see a change from the crap put on here half the time. Your effort has surely shown through in this piece."

And the exact reason the dog made it into the film:

"Man dies? we've seen it, we don't care. Dog? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"



"awesome creative artwork, but why leave the dog alone in the end??????
i mean i had my dog on my lap the whole time!!!really made me sorry for the dog... but everything else...masterpiece"


No comments: