Doin' me homework

Yo. I've been doin' a bunch of research this week, tonight and last night reading up on the cartoons of Tex Avery, Chuck Jones & Bob Clampett and their 'Termite terrace'. I find it interesting as a parallel to disney. When it comes to writing for animation and differentiating on what's been before, it's quite a tricky area... you create what you know. But those guys did something very different from Disney & it's gone on to be just as enforced. However, I find it still sits within the 'velvet glove';

"animation is important because the ideological force of its meanings can function precisely as an iron fist in the velvet glove of gags and sentimentality."

There's an interesting documentary up on Moodle about Chuck Jones where I heard Spielberg (I believe it was..) say that the following is the Citizen Cane of animation. I thought this was a brilliant cartoon, really enjoyed it and genuinely laughed, but it's going to take me some time and understanding before I can concur with that point. Anywho here it is, 'One Froggy Evening'



----

So, besides animation and the hard life of being a student, what have I bin up to. My girlfriend came down for the weekend and it was brill having not seen her for a few weeks. She bought me a camera which takes four photographs in sequence over the space of a second, and it is absolutely brilliant.. and completely relevant too. So, here's some 'animated photographs' I guess you could call 'em! I wasted a whole film in five days, whoops.








So that's about it. Time to do some more research... in other words, watching cartoons, nostalgin' & drawing... 15 years of education and it's back to being a five year old... isnt it great?

No comments: