American Psycho

Hello. Still alive, i've not posted since the last, but theres not a lot to recollect really - atleast for uni work. I have recieved some projects, got a bit of work to be doin', but nothin to write home about.

While I'm at uni i'm not just taking the time to learn about animation, im learning about other things that interest me too. For example I've really got into Dylan since I been at uni, John Lennon, Jack Kerouac and a bunch more but less so.. So excuse me if some of my posts seem unrelated but I feel they are.

Today, I been reading up on Bret Easton Ellis. I read American Psycho in the summer and it really spun me. Eyes wide open - it's truly the most disgusting thing i've ever seen or heard or witnessed - it's disgusting, but what depths it reaches, it's crazy. I really ...(i'll rephrase this before I even say it... 'enjoyed..' .. Ahem.., not the right word...) ADMIRED the novel, thought it was brilliant in that sense - a lot of admiration for the guy. To create something that disgusting.

It's the same way I felt when I showed my flat mates Requiem for a Dream... it's bloody horrid - the personification of - in the closing minutes, but for that reason it's brilliant. The girls were squirming but it was affecting them and thats the point - it takes something to do that more than just gory images also. Plus there's a very good story in there, good moral and ethic deconstruction.

I feel maybe the underlying open ending of American Psycho passed me by a bit - the 'he didnt do it' theory to the ending - that it's all a psycopathic dream concoted in the boredom of his high tower offices.. instead I just saw how it was clever how Bret Easton Ellis parralleled the two characters - two lives of Patrick Batemen.. (the mask) of his working life, his high-class drinking buddies, his hunting for hardbodies, his J&B on the rocks - with the utter psycopath who prowls the night. To me it showed how the life of this rich wall street 'rat pack' personification was just as meandering & unreal (or hyper real..(bit of animation knowledge)) as the life of a psychopath.. who tries to..
"make meat loaf out of the girl but it becomes too frustrating a task and instead I spend the afternoon smearing her meat all over the walls, chewing on strips of skin I ripped from her body"
Christ.

Bloody riveting. Haha.

It's a recommended read from me but i'm sure you'll only find it in the most estranged weirdo's book clubs.





No comments: